Friday, July 31, 2009

If You're Happy & You Know It...Clap Your Hands!

Is it important to be happy at your job? I suppose that having a job is probably what is most important to you in this day and age. But let’s not consider that right now. Let’s consider if you should be happy doing whatever you’re doing.
Having a job is the primary way you make money to pay your bills, buy things like food, and save for a rainy day. The more money you can make, the more options you will have with what you can do with it. But should the job that you have be something that is fulfilling or is it just something to do? I know many teenagers and college students will probably say the latter, since they are working whatever job they can find that fits around their school schedule. And unless their a genius, it’s probably not a high paying job either.
But after you’ve completed your schooling, do you go for what’s available according to geography, family ties, and the economy, or do you do what you love because it fills the need to express yourself through your work.
I’ve been told by "responsible" people that I should just accept a job because it’s with a large company with excellent benefits and room for advancement even though it’s in an industry that I have absolutely no interest in. It’s a REAL job.
On the other hand, I could move away from family and friends. Take my wife and children on an adventure into parts unknown. Living by my wits, possibly even being stranded if I lose the job I have. Egads! But isn’t that what makes life exciting? The true unknown…..There’s places I want to live and things I want to do that frankly, aren’t open to me where I’m at now.
But the responsible thing to do is to provide for my family by doing something I absolutely hate because I have good benefits and a long term future with the company…….
Read that sentence again……..
How depressing does that sound?

No comments:

Post a Comment