Sunday, October 18, 2009

Blood Brothers

It was a real shock just over 2 and a half years ago to find out that I was adopted at birth.

To find out that the family you were raised with doesn't share the same blood as you do was very disconcerting to me. Much is made about lineage, who we were descended from. Many cultures around the world are able to recite their ancestors in order for hundreds if not thousands of years. Did you know that not only was Jesus descended from King David, but that his lineage can be directly traced back to Adam? And if that wasn't enough, His mother Mary, was ALSO of the house of David? That was important because the Messiah was prophesied to be born in Bethlehem of the House of David.

Till the day I die, my family will always be the people I was raised among. And for all times, my sons will be Carleton's. And their sons, and their sons....I inherited their ways, their customs, their traditions, their values, and most blessedly, their love. They wanted me and for that I am forever grateful.

A medical emergency was brought to my attention by my newly found half sister. Our brother was taken to the hospital with a severe heart condition. At that moment, fear was the first emotion to rise up within me. My brother! I have a brother and he is ill and I must get to him hundreds of miles away. What a strange sensation to have! I have been an only child all of my life and all of a sudden this man who shares the same paternal blood as I do might be taken from me before I have a chance to get to know him as a brother. What does it mean to have a brother? I couldn't answer that question.

My best friend has been my brother for many years. We have shared laughter and tears, love and loss, good times and bad. And I will love him for the rest of my days. But now there is this person who is my brother by our common ancestors. Which is funny, because I used to make believe that I would discover somewhere in the future that I had a secret sibling. I guess it would be a lot like Luke Skywalker finding out that Princess Leia is really his sister and that Darth Vader is their father.

The Bible says, that "life is in the blood". And it was due to Jesus' blood sacrifice that paid our penalty for the sins we've committed against God. The blood is the currency that buys us into the covenant. It is this blood covenant that gives us the right to approach the throne of God. And it is this blood which we remember and honor every time we celebrate the Eucharist, The Lord's Supper, "the blood of the new and everlasting covenant. That was shed for you and for all so that sins may be forgiven."

My new brother has instantly become a part of my life. There isn't any "half" in this equation. My new siblings are part of me and my blood. And it mystically draws me to them. The blood has life and it calls to me to unite with them, to face even sickness and death. The blood speaks to me to defend my brother with my prayers that cross all time and space. My prayers are my greatest weapon. It is with words that the world was spoken into existence. And my prayers use these words to recite the words of the blood covenant.

I'm not one who embraced the "flower power" generation. But I have to chuckle when I think of the Grateful Dead's lyrics..."what a long strange trip it has been." I've gone from a family of one to the Brady Bunch. And getting to know my siblings has at times been overwhelming and confusing, just because I'm not used to having anyone else to think about. But the thought of losing one of them now gives me a newly found sense of urgency about getting to know them.

I wasn't able to have the privilege to meet my biological father. I visited his grave several weeks ago and met his brother, my uncle. I spent many years searching for my Carleton ancestors, and learning about who they were and what they did. And I am so proud to be included in the long list of Carleton children.

But as I stood at that grave, the blood sang to me a chorus, listing me in that long line of men, bound together by living cells and DNA. And I think of that man hundreds of miles away, whom I believe will make a full recovery from his hospital bed.

Brothers by blood.

2 comments:

  1. I like this...This is very deep, and very good...Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you so much Ron...I don't care about our blood ties or not!! I really miss you and would love to see you before the snow flys here!!

    Just think if we would have known this years ago we could have acted upon our animal attraction. LOL just kidding cuz we are not from Missouri!!

    ReplyDelete