Monday, July 30, 2012

God Showed Up!

Facebook always presents an opportunity to pray for other people.  Whether it's for people I know, family members of friends, or complete strangers, I often feel compelled to release my faith over others.

While I fully believe that God will deliver, I don't pray for results most of the time.  My prayer, of course, is for the designated intention, but also for miracles to happen.  I read an article today about why we as Christians don't expect God to perform exactly what we ask for.  There were abundant miracles during Jesus' time on earth and the apostles carried out His ministry by healing the sick, casting out demons, raising the dead, and changing lives.  Jesus said, "Greater works shall YOU do because I go unto my Father."

But for some reason, we seem to think that after the Apostle John died on Patamos, the age of miracles was over.  Even though Jesus explicity stated, "Whatever you ask in My Name, I will do it for you", we add to the verse by saying, "unless you are living after 100 AD, then you're on your own."

One of my favorite movies, Forrest Gump, has a scene where Lt. Dan is asking Forrest, "Where the Hell is this God of yours?  Forrest narrates, "It's funny Lieutenant Dan said that, 'cause right then, God showed up."  That is the kind of faith I believe in.  Remember the old saying, Be careful what you ask for cause you just might get it?  I'm praying for God to show up.  Disciples of Jesus, infused with the power of the Holy Spirit, carrying out the work that Jesus commissioned us to do. I pray for God to answer my prayers to make it known as a witness that He is in charge, He loves us, He IS INTERESTED in our lives, and He will move according to our faith.

If I had a time machine, I've often thought, what would it be like to live in the time of Jesus?  Well, I don't need to wish for that.  I should be living in that time right now!  Where we bring the Good News (that's what GOSPEL MEANS) to those that are hurting. Jesus, and His Anointing, moving throughout the earth, calling for us to join Him. I'm looking for the day when God Shows Up!

No comments:

Post a Comment